Typical Flight Destinations
Europe via large/small aircraft and CONUS via large cargo aircraft.
Billeting: 351-295-57-5178 (approx 0.1 miles from the Pax Terminal).
Off-Base Lodging: See AMCGRAM
Located on the Azores (Portuguese archipelago) island of Terceira in the Atlantic Ocean, about 1,500 km (950 mi) from Lisbon and about 3,900 km (2,400 mi) from the east coast of North America.
Long-Term Parking is available approx xx miles from the terminal. Contact the Pax Reps for details upon arrival.
Online Flight Schedules: Not available at this time
Terminal Hours: See AMCGRAM
Internet/WiFi: Computers and WiFI in Library (Closed Mondays)
Base Dining Facility:
Rental Car (In Terminal):
Rental Car (Off Base):
Taxi/Shuttle: See AMCGRAM for info.
Local Expert Advice!
Box lunches at Lajes AB cost $6.50 versus the AMC standard of $4.25 (as of August 2009)
"How Do I...?"
How do I obtain a pass to get back on base (if I go off base)? (Current as of Mar 11) If you decide to go off-base at Lajes you will need to obtain a pass before you leave that will allow you back on base.
- Call the "Political Affairs" office at 535-5228
- They will ask for your name, DOB, & passport number for each individual in your party; they will then send an e-mail to the main gate office (gate closest to the pax terminal, not the gate guard)
- Go to the gate office (M-F 0800-1200 or 1300-1545) with your ID and passport
- If you are unlucky enough to arrive after 1600 on a Friday then you may not be able to obtain a pass until the next duty day (hopefully a Monday). You could try to get one from the Portuguese Duty Security Officer (issues passes to air crews who arrive during non duty hours); Portuguese Duty Security office is between the pax terminal and the runway.
How Do I travel between Lajes AFB and Praia or Angra? (Current as of Aug 08) The nearest off-base lodging and restaurants are in Praia. Angra also has off-base lodging and restaurants.
The local bus has a stop just outside the main gate near the passenger terminal at Lajes AFB. It's about a fifteen minute walk from the passenger terminal to the nearest bus stop. The bus fare to Prais is about 0.90 Euros and to the bus fare between Praia and Angra is about 2.30 Euros. Except on Sunday, one bus travels from Praia to Angra and one bus travels between Angra and Praia each hour – each depart on the hour. The travel time is one hour between Praia and Angra. On Sundays only one bus travels from Angra to Praia and return. You can get a bus pass in Praia inland of the Modelo shopping center.
A taxi fare between Lajes AFB and Praia is around 10 Euros. There are only two taxi cabs.
External Links and Additional Resources
Exploring Terceira - A guide for things to see on the island of Terceira (where Lajes Field is located)
How you can provide updates to this page
There are several ways you can help keep this info updated for fellow Space-A travelers:
- You can send updates/corrections/additions to the email address on the Community Portal Page (link from the "navigation" section on the left of this page).
- You can "adopt" this page and you can have editing rights to make the updates yourself. Please contact me at "spacea at spacea.net" if you're interested in adopting a page.